Attorney or Paralegal?

FAQs About Receiving Medical Treatment From A Workers' Comp Claim

A major part of workers' compensation is receiving medical care. Ideally, your employer's insurance company will cover the costs associated with your medical bills. However, this does not always happen. If you were injured on the job and need medical care, here is what you need to know. 

Who Chooses the Medical Care Provider?

Who has the power to select the medical care provider that treats your injuries depends on your state's laws. In some states, the insurance company has the right to choose the provider. In others, you have the right. Before seeking out non-emergency medical treatment, contact your state's Department of Labor (DOL) to determine whether you or the insurance company can make the decision. 

What If You Do Not Agree With the Provider Chosen?

If the insurance company had the right to choose your provider, it is important that you understand why this might not be in your best interests. The doctor who cares for you helps to determine the nature of your injuries, how serious they are, and whether or not you can work. If the doctor is biased towards the insurance company, you could face problems with your workers' compensation claim. 

If you do not agree with the provider chosen, check with the state's DOL to determine if you can request a new doctor. If not, you will need to work to ensure that the doctor fairly assesses and reports your injuries. 

What Can You Do?

One of the ways you can protect your claim is to ensure that the doctor correctly notes the nature of your injuries. You can ask to see the records and request corrections, if necessary. 

You also need to be detailed in reporting your injuries. It is not enough to say you are in pain; you need to be specific about the severity of the pain and its location. Provide the doctor with examples of how your pain is impacting your everyday life. 

In addition to these measures, avoid speculating about your injuries. If you do not know the answer to a question posed by the doctor, state that you do not know or that you cannot answer the question at that time. If you speculate, you could be an accomplice in the doctor forming the wrong opinion. 

To find other ways to protect your claim, consult with a workers' compensation attorney from a firm like Salley Law Firm PA as soon as possible. The attorney can also help with other aspects of your claim.